1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
10 squares( 1oz each) unsweetened chocolate
6 squares( 1oz each) semisweet chocolate
6 eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup strong coffee
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8-inch round or equivalent cake pan with baking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat with an electric mixer, cream with 2 tablespoons of sugar, until soft peaks form; set aside.
3. Place unsweetened and semisweet chocolate in a large microwavable bowl. Microwave on High for about 2 to 3 minutes or until chocolate is melted, stir after each minute. (Be careful not to burn your chocolate.)
4. In another large mixing bowl, beat with an electric mixer, eggs, and remaining 1 cup of sugar. Use high speed for about 6 or 7 minutes or until the consistency is pale, and thick. Add melted chocolate, vanilla extract, almond extract, coffee, and salt. Beat this mixture until well-blended.
5. Fold whipped cream, and almonds into the egg mixture. Spread into the prepared cake pan. Place the pan in a large roasting pan with enough hot water to reach halfway up the side of the cake pan. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until set, but still soft in the center.
6. To unmold, loosen edge of cake with a sharp knife, running it along the outer edge. Then place serving platter upside down over pan, and invert. Garnish with fruit, cocoa, or edible flowers. Serve warm.
Makes about 12 servings.